31 Best Horror Movies You MUST Watch Before Halloween
I am a horror junkie. Halloween is, by far, my favorite holiday so I’m really stoked when October comes around. I put together my favorite list of 31 best horror movies you MUST watch before Halloween for you, one for each day in October. No purist pretense here.
Click the title of each movie to have it come up on Amazon in a new window for more information. Affiliate links are used in this post, which means I would earn a small percentage of the sale price, at absolutely no cost to you, which helps support The Art of Better.
1. House on Haunted Hill [2008 Version] – This one has been a favorite for years. The dialogue is quippy in the best of ways and the ending leaves one restless.
2. 13 Ghosts
4. The Gate – OMG, the part with the eye in his hand. AH!
5. Cabin Fever
6. The Conjuring – A solid horror movie that is hair-raising without cussing, nudity or a lot of gore. It is just that good. Supposedly based on a true story.
7. The Shining – classic.
8. Oculus – One of the more interesting, and scary, movies I’ve seen in recent years. Keeps you on the edge of your seat.
9. Trick ‘r Treat – We found this little gem wandering the wall at Blockbuster. Remember that?
10. The Evil Dead [2013 version] – Not for the faint of heart, The Evil Dead, is pretty damn gory. Now, I actually prefer the 2013 version but if you are looking for an old school 16-mm style, the 1981 version is also solid.
11. The Babadook – This is a new favorite. Truly creepy and unsettling, it will have you saying “BA-BA-DOOK-dook-dook” for days. A friend recommended this to us after he saw it on Netflix. Solid movie.
12. Nightmare on Elm Street [take your pick!] – Sorry folks; Freddy trumps Michael and Jason any day. This is a common bone of contention in our house, but I’m always right of course. Whether you go for the original 1984 movie, the rebooted 2010 version or anything else in between, you can’t go wrong here.
13. Planet Terror – Grindhouse craziness with a little parody thrown in for good measure. Bonus: Rose McGowan is a badass.
14. The Crazies
16. Creepshow – Five fantastic horror shorts brought to us by George A Romero & Stephen King
18. 28 Days Later – This is an interesting mix of fast-paced horror and slower shows of humanity that works well together.
19. Pumpkinhead – Scared the crap out of me as a kid and still creeps me out to this day.
20. Twilight Zone: The Movie – Each one of the four tales that make up the movie are fantastic, no fluff or filler here!
21. Tales from the Darkside: The Movie – Another fabulous horror anthology, this one is packed with stars. Lover’s Vow is the best of the three stories, in my opinion, but they’re all good.
22. The Exorcist
23. The Omen
24. Demon Knight
25. Motel Hell – Bizarre but everyone must see it.
28. They Live – “I’ve come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass…and I’m all out of bubblegum.” Best. Line. Ever.
29. Pan’s Labyrinth – Guillermo del Toro’s gorgeous masterpiece.
30. From Dusk till Dawn – Rowdy, fun, horror movie fun! Plus boobs and George Clooney. Perfect for any Robert Rodriguez / Quentin Tarantino fan. Good God, just don’t waste your time with the sequels.
31. Silent Hill – Truly terrifying every time the alarm goes off. One of the better endings I’ve seen to a horror movie also.
What would you add? Anything you disagree with?